Midwinter would like to offer hearty congratulations to Joe McCann (a member of the Midwinter AdviceOS distribution team) who has just finished 4th in one of the world’s toughest endurance races.
Joe has recently finished the Gobi March event, one of 4 legs of the 4 Deserts Race.
The race was held near the Chinese border with Kazakhstan and encompasses 250 kms over 6 stages – the longest single stage (stage 5) being 78.4 kms.
Competitors are required to carry all of their personal gear, food and clothing in a backpack.
The only assistance provided to them is water for drinking and making food, tents to sleep in at night and medical and management support.
Joe also raised thousands of dollars for the “sids and kids” charity.
Here is an extract from his blog, following the longest and toughest leg of the race – stage 5.
I did it!
Yesterday’s long stage was by far the toughest most rewarding run/race I’ve ever completed.
Thankfully I was one of the nine lucky competitors that were able to finish the stage before it was abandoned, due to atrocious weather conditions.
I crossed the finish line hand-in-hand, with the three event leaders and Davide from Italy (6th) in 9 hours 7mins after 74km and nearly 3000 metres elevation gain.
I’d decided before the race that I was going to stick with the lead group until the wheels fell off (go hard or go home, right?).
After reaching checkpoint two, dripping with sweat due to humidity levels well into the eighties, me and the race leaders began a 20km climb into the Tian Shan mountains.
Not long after starting the climb, it started pouring rain.
The higher we got the colder it got and it wasn’t long before the rain had turned to hail.
Due to the fact that every ounce of energy I had was going into sticking with lead group, it hadn’t dawned on me how bad the conditions had got.
It wasn’t until we stopped as a group to put on our jackets and I couldn’t undo my backpack because I had no control over my numb limbs ( I ended up using my teeth).
Finally once we had reached the top of the peak (approx 2800 metres), we pushed on as a group through the next couple of checkpoints until we reached another 12km climb.
At the top of this climb we were met with one of the best views I can recall.
We descended through picture perfect green hills that resembled a golf course, with a perfect view of Lake Sayram, with snow-capped mountains towering above it.
I don’t remember much of that last section as my mind and body was gone after pushing so hard for so long.
Crossing the finish with local news crews everywhere, hand in hand with world class athletes was a special moment… especially knowing what we’d just been through together.
It’s been a week since I’ve showered, it’s been a week since I’ve used a toilet, it’s been a week since I ate something that wasn’t in a freeze dried pack and it’s been a week since I slept on a bed…. I’ve loved every minute of it.
As you could imagine my mouth is watering at the thought of peking duck, dumplings and beer…. Not long now.
Regardless of the result tomorrow (the last stage of the race) I couldn’t be happier with how this week has planned out, even if I have destroyed the pain receptors in my brain permanently.
There’s no greater feeling knowing that you’ve given your all to something.
Although I was filled with doubts, fear and pain heading in, due to the two hernias, the main reason I was able to push on was because of the support from my family and my rock, Nay.
Same can be said for being able to push on each stage, was because of the supportive messages I’ve received; you’ve almost brought an emotionally wrecked man, to man tears.
Can’t wait to get back and see everyone.
If this has inspired you to get out there and test your limits of endurance, you can register yourself for one of the following events – Atacama Desert Crossing, Sahara Desert Race, Antarctica (The last Desert) or the Gobi Desert March – by visiting the 4 deserts website: http://www.4deserts.com/
Latest Midwinter tweets
- Check out the latest special #tech addition of @IFA_AU this month and get out insights into the future of… t.co/jcQYEwMuCd Time ago 2 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- @JennyPearse1 We love your awesomeness too Jen! Time ago 4 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @austfintech: @MidwinterFS announces technology partnership with BUSSQ and Skylight Financial Solutions t.co/UJq5SyoG1s #finte… Time ago 5 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- Merry Christmas from team snowflake ❄️❄️❄️ t.co/uaY03ynINj Time ago 5 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- @theo_troy @RobinaFinancial @PaulForbesRFS We hope you have an amazing time Troy! Time ago 6 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Awesome to announce our partnership with BUSSQ and Skylight Financial Solutions today, as reported by @jayellewillx in… Time ago 6 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @JamesMurphymfs: Great to announce our #Fintech partnership with BUSSQ and Skylight Financial Solutions today, as published by @AdviserV… Time ago 6 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @julian_plummer: Our #tech partnership with BUSSQ gives them a unique ability to monitor & supervise the advice that is going out in rea… Time ago 6 Days via Twitter Web Client
- We are pleased to announce our technology partnership with BUSSQ and Skylight Financial Solutions, which has seen A… t.co/wbV0OBJbIY Time ago 6 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @theo_troy: @Naomi_Midwinter @FinanceChicks @TopgolfGC @marks11111708 @WealthPP @willburke_au @Sunsuper @TALaustralia @Bennelongfunds @M… Time ago 6 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- @JBSFinancialJB @Naomi_Midwinter @JennyPearse1 @Warren_hanna You’re welcome to use the backdrop anytime Jenny! Time ago 7 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Team Cassar getting into ‘the swing’ of things at the @AFA_Voice 2018 Wrap up at Top Golf! #AFAau t.co/LhxZwvu… Time ago 7 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- @FinanceChicks @Naomi_Midwinter @TopgolfGC @AFA_Voice t.co/nuzzjHF2qa Time ago 7 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @FinanceChicks: @Naomi_Midwinter .... hit the other way.... @TopgolfGC @AFA_Voice #AFAau t.co/Fl5pNp5ePR Time ago 7 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @FinanceChicks: And that’s a wrap!! The AFA Gold Coast chapter is wrapping up 2018 at @TopgolfGC this afternoon! 2 spots only left!! H… Time ago 7 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: The people you run into at an @XYAdviser event! Loved catching up long time former snowflake @Robbie_Koorey ❄️ #commu… Time ago 13 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- Password management in today's #digital world can be tricky, and with #cybersecurity taking centre stage in… t.co/Hgk7Bkrvka Time ago 13 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @AFA_Alliances: @Naomi_Midwinter @FinanceChicks Thanks for your amazing contribution Naomi. You’re a powerhouse of positivity. Your per… Time ago 14 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- Excited to be supporting the @AFA_Voice for the Gold Coast 2018 Wrap party at Top Golf! If you haven't got your ti… t.co/o3rWngyKop Time ago 14 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Conferences are always fun when these two are around 🤗 #FPACongress t.co/ED7Nrn8kkv Time ago 19 Days via Twitter for iPhone
Follow @MidwinterFS on twitter.