Midwinter would like to offer hearty congratulations to Joe McCann (a member of the Midwinter AdviceOS distribution team) who has just finished 4th in one of the world’s toughest endurance races.
Joe has recently finished the Gobi March event, one of 4 legs of the 4 Deserts Race.
The race was held near the Chinese border with Kazakhstan and encompasses 250 kms over 6 stages – the longest single stage (stage 5) being 78.4 kms.
Competitors are required to carry all of their personal gear, food and clothing in a backpack.
The only assistance provided to them is water for drinking and making food, tents to sleep in at night and medical and management support.
Joe also raised thousands of dollars for the “sids and kids” charity.
Here is an extract from his blog, following the longest and toughest leg of the race – stage 5.
I did it!
Yesterday’s long stage was by far the toughest most rewarding run/race I’ve ever completed.
Thankfully I was one of the nine lucky competitors that were able to finish the stage before it was abandoned, due to atrocious weather conditions.
I crossed the finish line hand-in-hand, with the three event leaders and Davide from Italy (6th) in 9 hours 7mins after 74km and nearly 3000 metres elevation gain.
I’d decided before the race that I was going to stick with the lead group until the wheels fell off (go hard or go home, right?).
After reaching checkpoint two, dripping with sweat due to humidity levels well into the eighties, me and the race leaders began a 20km climb into the Tian Shan mountains.
Not long after starting the climb, it started pouring rain.
The higher we got the colder it got and it wasn’t long before the rain had turned to hail.
Due to the fact that every ounce of energy I had was going into sticking with lead group, it hadn’t dawned on me how bad the conditions had got.
It wasn’t until we stopped as a group to put on our jackets and I couldn’t undo my backpack because I had no control over my numb limbs ( I ended up using my teeth).
Finally once we had reached the top of the peak (approx 2800 metres), we pushed on as a group through the next couple of checkpoints until we reached another 12km climb.
At the top of this climb we were met with one of the best views I can recall.
We descended through picture perfect green hills that resembled a golf course, with a perfect view of Lake Sayram, with snow-capped mountains towering above it.
I don’t remember much of that last section as my mind and body was gone after pushing so hard for so long.
Crossing the finish with local news crews everywhere, hand in hand with world class athletes was a special moment… especially knowing what we’d just been through together.
It’s been a week since I’ve showered, it’s been a week since I’ve used a toilet, it’s been a week since I ate something that wasn’t in a freeze dried pack and it’s been a week since I slept on a bed…. I’ve loved every minute of it.
As you could imagine my mouth is watering at the thought of peking duck, dumplings and beer…. Not long now.
Regardless of the result tomorrow (the last stage of the race) I couldn’t be happier with how this week has planned out, even if I have destroyed the pain receptors in my brain permanently.
There’s no greater feeling knowing that you’ve given your all to something.
Although I was filled with doubts, fear and pain heading in, due to the two hernias, the main reason I was able to push on was because of the support from my family and my rock, Nay.
Same can be said for being able to push on each stage, was because of the supportive messages I’ve received; you’ve almost brought an emotionally wrecked man, to man tears.
Can’t wait to get back and see everyone.
If this has inspired you to get out there and test your limits of endurance, you can register yourself for one of the following events – Atacama Desert Crossing, Sahara Desert Race, Antarctica (The last Desert) or the Gobi Desert March – by visiting the 4 deserts website: http://www.4deserts.com/
Latest Midwinter tweets
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: Big congrats to @philjthommo for winning our Cyber Security competition! Thanks for participating in our survey and for y… Time ago 5 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- 'Keeping your clients in your own ecosystem.' @julian_plummer spoke to @netwealthInvest about scaled advice and ho… t.co/SWsiPTzm0W Time ago 7 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: New #data breach laws are forcing #accountants to take a closer look at their #cybersecurity systems. A handful of steps… Time ago 7 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @julian_plummer: How do you know if you've been hacked? They don't write you a thank you letter. I spoke with @ipaaccountants about wha… Time ago 9 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @ipaaccountants: Overconfidence from accountants around the threat of cyber crime is troublesome considering the information they hold o… Time ago 10 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- @AtlasWealthMgmt Congrats! Time ago 10 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @adviserinnovate: #BLOG: Protecting data held on third-party services | @Midwinterfs managing director @julian_plummer t.co/BoHH… Time ago 11 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- We're delighted that Midwinter's digital advice solution has been a part of the progress @RestSuper has made in bri… t.co/Z7IaT42da5 Time ago 14 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @stew_bell: @Naomi_Midwinter Thanks to you @Naomi_Midwinter for absolutely ruling the last session, and to @Midwinterfs for lending us h… Time ago 16 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Fulfilling Fridays 🙌🏻 Spent this afternoon in Melbourne at the Audere Coaching Workshop presenting on branding, digita… Time ago 16 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Big congrats to @netwealthInvest for winning platform provider of the year at the @SMSFAdviser awards! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 https://… Time ago 17 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: The @SMSFAdviser awards kick off at @MomentumMediaAU HQ t.co/2CDq2xcPxT Time ago 17 Days via Twitter for iPhone
- Shout out to all our #Perth advisers! The amazing @peitad is holding an awesome event for you on how to make your… t.co/UORLNZ9DD8 Time ago 18 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: What do you need to do in order to protect your client #data held on third-party services and apps? @julian_plummer detai… Time ago 19 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Aside from relishing in being called a ‘fellow rebel’ I loved joining @SteveCrawford78 for his latest podcast, to chat… Time ago 20 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: Kamino #CyberSecurity Threat Alert - Ticketmaster #databreach! If you purchased a ticket through Ticketmaster between Sep… Time ago 25 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Naomi_Midwinter: Thrilled to be supporting one of our better known industry heavy weights @SteveCrawford78 & his unrivalled ability to… Time ago 26 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: What are your responsibilities as a financial planner or accountant to ensure that your client #data in the cloud is safe… Time ago 27 Days via Twitter Web Client
- RT @Kamino_Cyber: Inside the bunkers and war rooms where major banks wage nightly battle on the frontline of #cyber war - an interesting re… Time ago 31 Days via Twitter Web Client
- What does the future of paraplanning look like? Our MD @julian_plummer spoke with @FinStd about what he sees on the… t.co/6sjnCi19rT Time ago 33 Days via Twitter Web Client
Follow @MidwinterFS on twitter.